Mark Weiser Background
Mark Weiser Background
- Xerox PARC since May, 1987. Currently Chief Technologist. Head of the Computer Science Laboratory Nov., 1988-Dec., 1994; Principal Scientist since 1988.
- University of Maryland Computer Science Department, 1979-1987. Associate Chairman,
1986-1987; Associate Professor, 1984-1987; Laboratory Director, 1981-1984; Assistant
- University of Michigan, Research Assistant and MTS Counselor, 1974-1979
- MIS International, Project Leader, Detroit, MI, 1975-1976
- Cerberus Inc., Co-founder and President, Ann Arbor, MI, 1973-1976
- Portable Information Systems, Ltd., Co-founder and Vice-President, Ann Arbor, MI,
- Omnitext, Inc., Programmer, Ann Arbor, MI, 1970-1975
- (First paid programming work, Chemistry Department, Cornell University, 1967)
I live in the San Francisco
Bay Area. I have
two daughters, ages 16 and 20 (in 1997). My oldest daughter Nicole lives in San Luis Obispo -- she did the first version of this web page.
After attending New College in Sarasota, Florida from 1969 to 1970, Mark dropped
out to join friends and work in Ann Arbor, Michigan. In 1976 he enrolled in the University
of Michigan where in 1979 he earned his Ph.D in Computer and Communication Sciences.
(He still has no undergraduate degree.) Mark went on to teach in the Computer Science
Department at the University of Maryland, being promoted in 1985 to Associate Professor
with tenure before moving to Xerox PARC.
Mark Weiser was born on July 23, 1952 in Chicago, Illinois. Named Mark David Weiser
after his father, David, he moved with his family to Mt. Carroll, Illinois when he
was four years old. There he enjoyed a peaceful existence with his paper route, electronic
projects, and garage band the Outsiders (not the Outsiders). At the age of fourteen
he and his family moved to Ithaca, New York and after one year moved to Stony Brook,
New York where he finished high school.
pictures of me.
Mark is the drummer for rock band Severe Tire Damage, the first live band on the internet, who opened electronically for the Rolling Stones, and who are the first regularly scheduled live music show on the Internet. Check them out!
use email! email@example.com
Other methods: Home fax: 415-322-0625.
Address: Mark Weiser, Xerox PARC, 3333 Coyote Hill Rd., Palo Alto, CA 94304.
Recognizing: blue eyes, brown hair (but not on top), wears glasses or contacts, 5'8", weighs 178 (ideal: 160). Built like a drummer.
Mark Weiser /
November 24, 1995